|1||(3½ pound) chicken|
|4||fresh rosemary sprigs|
|4||fresh thyme sprigs|
|6||garlic cloves, peeled|
|1||cup Basic Chicken Stock or low sodium chicken broth|
|2||tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|3||tablespoon dry white wine|
|1||shallot, finely chopped|
|1/4||teaspoon dried sage|
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F; spray the rack of a roasting pan with nonstick spray. Remove the chicken giblets and neck from body cavity; refrigerate or freeze for another use. Rinse the chicken under cold running water inside and out; pat dry.
- Place the lemon, onion, rosemary, thyme, and 5 of the garlic cloves in the body cavitPlace the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the roasting pan.
- Roast 30 minutes; pour the broth and lemon juice over the chicken.Reduce the oven temperature to 325˚F. Roast, basting frequently, until cooked through and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced in the thickest part, and an instant read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 180˚F, about 1 hour longer.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince the remaining garlic clove. Pour the pan juices into a medium saucepan, skimming off any fat and reserving 1 tablespoon of the juices in a small bowl.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved juices.
- Add the wine, minced garlic, shallot, sage, salt, and water to the saucepan;
- Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the dissolved cornstarch; cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens, about 1 minute.
- Remove the lemon, onion, and herbs from the cavity and discard; carve the chicken and serve with the gravy.
- Remove the skin before eating.
Makes 4 Servings