1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 cup fresh pea pods, cut up
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 cups shredded Chinese cabbage
1/2 cup coarsely chopped honey roasted peanuts or dry roasted peanuts
In a large bowl combine cucumber and pea pods. For dressing, in small bowl stir together vinegar, salad oil, sesame oil, sugar, salt, and crushed red pepper. Pour dressing over cucumber and pea pods, stirring to coat. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
Stir Chinese cabbage into cucumber mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Makes 8 servings.
1¾ cups thinly sliced halved zucchini
1½ cups cauliflowerets
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 cup Italian salad dressing
1 tablespoon lemon juice
12 cups torn romaine
2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
4 large fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 ounces sliced salami, julienned
4 ounces sliced pepperoni, julienned
4 ounces sliced pastrami, julienned
4 ounces provolone cheese, julienned
1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 cup Italian croutons
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes
1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
1 medium yellow bell pepper, julienned
In a bowl, combine the zucchini, cauliflower, bell peppers, and onions.
Combine the salad dressing and lemon juice; pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Just before serving, combine the romaine, tomatoes, mushrooms, salami, Pastrami, pepperoni, provolone and olives in a serving bowl.
Add marinated vegetables; toss to coat.
Top with the croutons and Parmesan cheese.
|1||(3½ pound) chicken|
|4||fresh rosemary sprigs|
|4||fresh thyme sprigs|
|6||garlic cloves, peeled|
|1||cup Basic Chicken Stock or low sodium chicken broth|
|2||tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|3||tablespoon dry white wine|
|1||shallot, finely chopped|
|1/4||teaspoon dried sage|
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F; spray the rack of a roasting pan with nonstick spray. Remove the chicken giblets and neck from body cavity; refrigerate or freeze for another use. Rinse the chicken under cold running water inside and out; pat dry.
- Place the lemon, onion, rosemary, thyme, and 5 of the garlic cloves in the body cavitPlace the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the roasting pan.
- Roast 30 minutes; pour the broth and lemon juice over the chicken.Reduce the oven temperature to 325˚F. Roast, basting frequently, until cooked through and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced in the thickest part, and an instant read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 180˚F, about 1 hour longer.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince the remaining garlic clove. Pour the pan juices into a medium saucepan, skimming off any fat and reserving 1 tablespoon of the juices in a small bowl.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved juices.
- Add the wine, minced garlic, shallot, sage, salt, and water to the saucepan;
- Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the dissolved cornstarch; cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens, about 1 minute.
- Remove the lemon, onion, and herbs from the cavity and discard; carve the chicken and serve with the gravy.
- Remove the skin before eating.
Makes 4 Servings